I’m so excited to close off another year on Defy Augury! It has been truly wonderful to write for you all:) In the meantime, here’s an update on what books I’ve been reading and what posts I’ve been planning for the end of fall and the beginning of winter. Enjoy!
Books I’ve Read:
Over the past two months, I have read nine books and have only seven books left before I reach my goal of fifty for the year! Some of my literary milestones for September/October include delving into ancient Grecian works (Antigone, The Odyssey, Oedipus Rex), sobering myself with a few dystopias (The Giver, 1984), and indulging in another Gothic novel (The Phantom of the Opera)! My favorite book out of the list, though, is probably Dante’s Inferno.
- Antigone by Sophocles (Drama, Tragedy)
- Shane by Jack Schaefer (Fiction, Western)
- The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeRoux (Fiction, Gothic Romance/Mystery)
- The Odyssey by Homer (Poetry, Epic)
- A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God’s Love by Milton Vincent (Nonfiction, Christian Living)
- Oedipus Rex by Sophocles (Drama, Tragedy)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry (Fiction, Dystopia)
- Inferno by Dante Alighieri (Poetry, Epic)
- 1984 by George Orwell (Fiction, Dystopia)
Preview (Potential Posts) for November/December:
- Writing Music Collection: Owl City | More productivity music for your work! Owl City is one of my favorite stylistically modern artists, and I guarantee you’ll find him the same.
- Media and Mistletoe: Books, Bible Plans, Music, and Movies for Christmas | I love ushering in the Christmas season with the proper media at my disposal. I also supposed I wasn’t the only one.
- “Paper Faces on Parade!”: Reactions to the Figurative and Literal Masks in Phantom of the Opera | In terms of flowing writing style, Leroux’s work was probably the worst, but his story is so utterly beautiful. I’m more than happy to write some amateur literary criticism on it here.
- The Hamartia of the Contemporary Christian Music Industry | I have been deeply frustrated with the CCM world for a long time, but I’ve also never written an explanation of that peeve on Defy Augury. Hopefully it will clarify sufficiently my opinions on the matter.
- Five Favorite YouVersion Bible Plans | I have been using YouVersion for my devotions lately, so I thought it would be really fun to give you my recommendations.
I’m so excited to see how these articles turn out! I hope they inspire you to live for God’s glory. Keep fighting the good fight—I’ll see you next time!
“‘Be glad, O children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God, for he has given the early rain for your vindication; he has poured down for you abundant rain, the early and the latter rain, as before.'” ~Joel 2:23, ESV
November 4, 2018