No earthly thing can ever bring me to pure worship as music does. The growth spurts in my walk with Christ have almost always been accompanied with sweet, peaceful, and thoughtful songs; the ten below are among the most influential in my life. They have helped me see sin’s true face, rest in God’s mercy, and love humbly. I have chosen to share them with you in hopes that each one, whether classic or modern, will connect with your heart in some way, perhaps giving you a glimpse of something you have never previously understood about our glorious, our triumphant, our sovereign Savior.
- “Carry You” by Amy Grant| This is a song I could listen to over…and over…and over…and over again. I love the sweetness of the acoustic guitar, the harmonies of Vince Gill, and the tranquility that comes with reminders of God’s love.
- “I Run to Christ” by The Wilds| The body of Christ can never celebrate the Lamb’s devotion and sacrifice too much. “I Run to Christ” presents to us what aweful worship truly means.
- “Crucified with Christ” by Philips, Craig, and Dean| Inspired by Galatians 2:20, “Crucified with Christ” stands as a classic, ever-present illustration of how God’s child is to live his earthly life.
- “You Are Wonderful” by Sara Groves| Sara writes deeply personal worship songs. “You Are Wonderful” is one of her greatest masterpieces.
- “Even If” by Mercy Me| Through many a sleepless night, Bart Millard and his band have comforted me with the steadfast presence of God through this song. The inspiration behind its creation is even more amazing; I plead you to listen to that, as well.
- “Alabaster Box” by Cece Winans| In Matthew 26:13, Jesus told His disciples that the woman who poured her oil on His feet and wiped them with her hair would never be forgotten. I believe Winans’ moving song is the greatest memorial contemporary Christian society has ever erected in her honor.
- “Thief” by Third Day| I’m not usually a fan of Third Day’s Southern rock sound, but “Thief” is an exception. I love the parallels it draws between us and the thief on the cross, inspiring broken hallelujahs from God’s people as the song carries on.
- “To Love You Back” by Jamie Grace| Have you stopped to take a breath recently? Have you ever taken the time to stand in awe of the throne room of grace God has so graciously permitted us to enter? “To Love You Back” beautifully encourages all believers to do so.
- “Seeing for the First Time” by Britt Nicole| We all have those moments when we feel as if we could almost touch the face of God. “Seeing for the First Time” encourages us to remember what our Lord has done in each of our personal lives. Oh Father, let us remember!
- “Yours” by Steven Curtis Chapman| There’s nothing like running outside, listening to “Yours,” and giving back to God all the joy and love He has given us. “Yours” never fails to remind me…OUR LORD IS SOVEREIGN!
This list is by no means exhaustive; I could go on and on recommending some of the greatest music the contemporary Christian genre has to offer. My honorable mentions include “Lord, I Need You” (Matt Maher),”Give Me Faith” (Elevation Worship), “Place in This World” (Michael W. Smith), “The Prayer” (Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion), and “Awesome God” (Rich Mullins), all of which I strongly encourage you to meditate upon as well. Have fun listening–and maybe even try your hand at ranking your favorites!
November 25, 2017